Rediff.com  » News » Shaheen Bagh protesters removed amid COVID-19 outbreak

Shaheen Bagh protesters removed amid COVID-19 outbreak

Source: PTI  -  Edited By: Roshneesh Kmaneck
Last updated on: March 24, 2020 12:26 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

People protesting against the citizenship law at Shaheen Bagh were removed by the Delhi Police on Tuesday morning amid the coronavirus lockdown in the national capital, officials said.

IMAGE: olice remove posters and boards from the anti-CAA protest site at Shaheen Bagh, New Delhi. Photograph: Arun Sharma/PTI Photo

A total of nine protesters including six women were detained and taken to a nearby police station, Deputy Commissioner of Police (southeast) R P Meena said.

 

The agitators, mostly women, had been on a sit-in at the site for over three months to protest the newly amended Citizenship Act .

People were requested to vacate the site as a lockdown has been imposed due to the coronavirus outbreak. However, action was taken when refused to move, Meena said.

SEE: Cops force Shaheen Bagh protesters to move

About 50 protesters including men were at the venue when it was vacated.

"Most of the protesters vacated the site after police made an appeal but a few refused. So, police detained them," a volunteer at the site requesting anonymity said.

A decision about resuming the protest will be taken after the coronavirus situation comes under control, he added.

On Sunday, during the 'Janta curfew', only five women were at the site while others had left their slippers as a symbol of solidarity.

IMAGE: Residents watch from their houses as police personnel clear the anti-CAA protest site at Shaheen Bagh amid complete lockdown in the national capital. Photograph: Arun Sharma/PTI Photo

The women were taking all precautions amid the coronavirus outbreak and sanitisers had been arranged at the venue to ensure utmost hygiene, the volunteer said.

Unidentified men had hurled "inflammable substance" near the site on Sunday but none of the five women protesters present there were injured.

Meanwhile, the protest site at South Delhi's Hauz Rani too was cleared after the Delhi Police made an appeal on Tuesday morning.

The protest site was cleared around 7 am, said Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Atul Kumar Thakur.

Only two-three protesters were staging a protest against the newly amended citizenship law at the venue. After we made an appeal, they left the spot, he said.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: PTI  -  Edited By: Roshneesh Kmaneck© Copyright 2020 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
SHARE THIS STORY 
日本特黄特色大片免费视频